Thursday, April 9, 2009

I've Replaced Food With...Craigslist

My family was somewhat poor when I was growing up. Dad had gone (we found out at his funeral that he'd had a mistress for, oh, 30 years or so) and Mom was sick, so money was tight. I was never wanting for anything, but we had to watch our pennies. I remember going grocery shopping for the family when I was 16 and meticulously tallying up the list of what was in the cart so I could make sure we fell within the $80 Dad "graciously" sent us every week.

Which brings me to my current obsession, Craigslist. Just the free stuff, mind you. And definitely not junk. Plus it has to be worth my while if I'm going to spend the gas to drive to pick it up. But if I can stop something from going into the landfill and if it will benefit the family, I'll gladly take it.

My latest acquisition is a sand/water table for the Diva. This way she can play with water without getting utterly drenched. I power washed the item and voila! Child #2 had a new toy. I popped some sand in it & brother very generously contributed some old cars to use in the sand. It amused both kids the other day for a good 2 hours.

I'm also grooving on Freecycle. I've gotten rid of some toddler stuff on there which I hope will benefit others.

Both sites are my current obsessions. And as obssessions go, I think they're ok. As long as I don't claim the camel (no lie) which someone was recently giving away on Craigslist. :)

No comments: