Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Becoming What You Could Never Have Predicted


I used to be a card-carrying feminist. I even went down to Washington D.C. once as part of a Pro-Choice rally. I went on cruises by myself. I didn't even like children. Then, at the stroke of midnight (aka before I turned 40 & after 9 years of marriage to a man who wanted "just one kid"), I left it up to God and hubby's swimmers hit pay dirt. It took 3 pregnancy tests before I believed I was and then, throughout the pregnancy, I kept asking people, "This is a good thing, right?"


What's causing me to reminisce? There I was yesterday...volunteering for my son's school's PTA...sitting at sign-in table...knitting a scarf for my husband. How utterly domestic. And the weird thing? I was happy.


Tomorrow I go in to Child #2's preschool to help out with the Thanksgiving Feast. And I'm looking forward to it. It's funny how you become things you could have never foreseen.


No comments: