Saturday, August 23, 2014

How To Shop For Jeans – After You've Gained A Few Pounds


I will NOT beat myself up for not looking like this!


Please note that although I was compensated for this post and that writing on this subject was suggested, all opinions are my own. 



Fall will soon be upon us, here, in the Northeast. That's when I live in jeans - nice, comfy jeans. Unfortunately, I ate a wee bit too much this Summer and I've put on a few pounds, rendering my Size 6 jeans to the closet for the immediate future. What to do?

Since the weight I put on took 3 months to get there, it's not going to disappear overnight, no matter how much I wish it would. It's time to face reality: I need new pants in a larger size. Since I've done this before, here is how to approach shopping for women's jeans after you've packed on a few pounds.

  1. Do not beat yourself up for packing on a few pounds!!! I can't emphasize this enough. Weight gain happens to the best of us. Inflicting guilt on yourself doesn't do a bit of good. Resolve to get the weight off, but in the meantime, deal with the reality that you are now a different size than the one you'd like to be.

  1. Think about what type of jeans you want. Designer jeans or non-designer jeans? What type: denim jeans or colored ones? Ripped or non-ripped? Straight-leg or bootcut style jeans are your best bet. Avoid low-rise jeans because they'll cause the much-dreaded muffin top. Mid-rise jeans are better when you've got a belly.


  1. Go to the store with whatever pair of shoes you'll be wearing the jeans with, since that will help with the issue of where the pant legs will fall. Although I love the look of True Religion Brand Jeans and others you can buy online, trying pants on is essential, especially when you're on the large side. Maybe skinnier people have a greater margin of error, but I don't.

  1. If you stick to one brand of jeans and one size, understand that there will be tiny differences in the fit in every batch of your size because good jeans are hand cut. Take a few pair of the same size into the changing room and try them on. If you need to suck your tummy waaay in or lie on the floor to zip the pants up, you need a bigger size. Again, muffin tops are not pretty, too tight jeans encourage yeast infections, and passing out from not being able to breathe is bad.

  1. Move around and sit down in any jeans you try on. Is the crotch seam comfortable? How does the waist feel – is it digging in? Do your knees feel like a boa constrictor is wrapped around them? COMFORT is as important as look.

  1. Make sure you know the store's return policy before you buy the pants. What if you get home and decide they're not for you? I've had too many “what was I thinking!” moments. Returning the pants has to be an option.

Am I proud that I put on a few pounds? Certainly not! But my self-worth is not determined by a number on the scale. Time to watch what I'm eating, exercise more, and face the reality that I need new pants. After all, I deserve to look good this Fall!

For more tips on how to buy jeans, visit The Chic Fashionista.

Photo of a bowl of tomato and cucumber salad
Back to the salad bar for me...yumm!



No comments: