Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Adding Fragrance To Your House For FREE

Sometimes when you're burning a candle, the wick burns down so far that all you have left is wax and no wick. Or you may have a candle but don't want to spend the money on a holder. I used to take those pieces of wax and orphan candles and use them in the fireplace when I needed help starting a fire. Last Winter, however, with me using the fireplace less thanks to the kids' busy schedules, I had a stockpile of wax and nothing to use it for.

Without a holder, this candle is useless, right? WRONG!

Then one day when I was in the store looking at wax melts, I realized that they're merely leftover pieces of candles, like the kind I had at home. So I grabbed a few clean baby food jars (I ALWAYS stockpile those) with the labels peeled off, chopped up pieces of my old candles, and placed the now-filled jars on a candle warmer I'd bought on clearance. The wax pieces melt on the warmer and my house smells like I have a candle burning. 

Candle fragments melted in a baby food jar.


Alternatives to this are:

  1. If you don't have a baby food jar, use any kind of clean jar without labels that will fit on the warmer. When you need to label the scent, just write on the jar using a Sharpie marker; you can re-label the jar by washing the marker off with alcohol or scrubbing it clean.
  2. If you don't have any candle fragments lying around, grab some dryer scent boosters (see photo below) and place those in a jar.

    Laundry scent booster

  3. So that you remember to turn off the candle warmer before you leave the house or go to bed, leave your car keys or cell phone near the warmer. Chances are, you'll reach for one of those, realize that they're not where they should be, and turn the warmer off.

Do you have any uses for leftover candle pieces? Let me know!

Ahhh...the house smells lovely!

No comments: