Friday, June 20, 2014

Gearing Up For Summer

  

Please note that although I was compensated for this post and that writing on this subject was suggested, all opinions are my own. 

~~
The kids are finally done with school. “Yeah” and “Oh my God!” While they're both going to half-day camp this summer, there's still a lot of days to fill (I counted – there are 77). Fortunately, we live in an area with tons of stuff to do outside. I may not be the most athletic or fit mom around, but I try.

Now, I've never camped but this year, we plan on spending at least one night in the backyard. But when I went pricing tents at our local Dick's Sporting Goods and Modell's, I had sticker-shock. Fortunately, there's a website called The Clymb that has outdoor equipment like camping gear, cycling equipment, etc., at bargain prices. They had a tent called The Lynx 4 which looks pretty simple to set up and even has a vestibule (?!) for extra storage. Even if we find out that camping isn't for us, The Lynx 4 will remain set up in the backyard for a few days because I think it would be a fun little place for my daughter and her friends to play in.  

We also like to go cycling as a family. It's a great way to see many of the sights we bypass too quickly when we're traveling by car. Cycling, whether locally or on vacation, is great fun as well as fantastic exercise. We chat while we're pedaling along and it's a wonderful way to catch up with my high school-bound teen who is too often so immersed in video that I forget what his face looks like. When we bicycle locally, my husband does not have a bike, so he runs alongside us and the kids have great fun “racing” their dad.

With the beach a scant 90 minutes away, we try to get down there every few weeks, more for my mental health than a family love for it. My daughter spends hours digging in the sand while hubby and son play football further up on the beach. One piece of equipment I think is essential is a yoga mat which is heavier than a blanket and cleans up far easier. It also provides a little cushion from the hot sand. That, combined with a cooler packed with water and ice pops as well as snacks, sunglasses and sunscreen make for a wonderful mini-vacation.

Between those mini-adventures, some day trips, camp, hanging out with friends at the pool and our upcoming vacation to Pennsylvania, my kids should have lots to talk about when they return to school in the Fall. These 77 days will fly by, filled with summer memories that will last a lifetime. There's lots to do. Let's get to it!

The Lynx 4 Tent - Looks like fun, right?








No comments: